Moulton is the primary village of an extensive Fenland parish, over 16 miles (26 km) in length. The civil parish includes the smaller villages of Moulton Chapel, Moulton Seas End and Moulton Eaugate.
Moulton Grammar School was founded through an endowment given in the will of John Harrox (died 1561) who was steward to Sir John Harrington of Weston. The School opened in 1562 with ten pupils and continued to educate boys until 1939 when it merged with Spalding Grammar School. Some school buildings still exist but are now private residences. John Harrox is commemorated in the name of the Primary School and the Moulton Harrox sports club. The Moulton Harrox Educational Foundation uses income from the management of more than 200 acres (0.81 km2) to support the education of young people of the district. Old boys of the Grammar School included:
• Johnny Douglas (1895-7), Olympic gold medal winner in boxing and captain of the England Cricket Team
• Rt Rev Kenneth Healey, Bishop of Grimsby from 1958–66
• Walter Plowright (1923–2010) veterinary scientist
Moulton railway station closed to passengers in 1959. The station buildings remain but are now private residences although some of the old platform structures still exist.
During the 1970s Moulton was home to an astronomical observatory that was relocated to Sussex in the early 1980s.
On 28 July 2005, a mini-tornado swept through the village, damaging the church roof and some other properties in the vicinity, depositing glass tens of metres away.
On 19 July 2016, a shooting occurred in nearby Spalding. The two victims, Claire and Charlotte Hart, and the gunman, Lance Hart, were residents of Moulton. Following the attack, Lincolnshire Police raided the family home in the village.
Tower mill and All Saints’ spire, Moulton
Moulton’s chief landmarks are All Saints’ Church, known as “The Queen of the Fens”, and Moulton Windmill, the tallest tower mill in the United Kingdom.
All Saints’ Church was built about 1180, instigated by Prior John of Spalding. It took approximately 60 to 70 years to build, and was heavily restored from 1866 to 1867 by William Smith. The church has a rood screen dating from around 1425. There is a memorial in the floor of the church to Prudence Corby, who apparently died on “Julye the 36th 1793”.
Moulton Windmill, built in 1822, ground wheat and other products until 1995, despite losing its sails in 1895. New sails were fitted on 21 November 2011 and on 28 April 2013 the first bag of flour to be ground with wind power in over 100 years was produced.
The remains of Moulton Castle, now a small mound of earth and a moat, lie south of the village.
Moulton Castle, also known as King’s Hall Park, is a medieval earthwork and scheduled monument situated 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the south of Moulton, Lincolnshire, England. It probably dates from the twelfth century. It was owned by Thomas de Moulton in the early thirteenth century and it was during this period of unrest when the fortifications were most likely constructed. It remained under occupation by the Moulton family until at least 1313.
Due to the lack of any formal excavation and the paucity of sources, much remains unclear about the site. It is unknown whether it was a true castle or merely a fortified manor house, why it was so isolated and so far from the village, and why and when it fell into disuse. It was in need of repair in 1461 and mostly gone by 1531. There are no ruins visible today, and the site consists of nothing more than a large D-shaped moat and earthwork, barely perceptible from nearby roads. The only investigations into the site took place during World War II when the Home Guard discovered thirteenth-century pottery while digging a bunker, and a later fieldwalking expedition from a local school.
It has been reported that some of the stone from the castle was used to build part of the church porch at nearby Holbeach.
The Elloe Stone
Located nearby, just off the A151, is the Elloe Stone, believed to mark the site of the moot of the Elloe wapentake in Danish times.