Low Fulney is a hamlet in the South Holland district of Lincolnshire, England. It is in the Spalding St. Paul’s ward of the South Holland District Council. Thornholme Grange, a house of 15th-century origin, was built of brick on the supposed site of Spalding Priory dairy. It was extended and partially rebuilt in the 16th century. It was altered in the 19th century, and again in 1936 when acquired by the Land Settlement Association
The Land Settlement Association was a UK Government scheme set up in 1934, with help from the charities the Plunkett Foundation and the Carnegie Trust, to re-settle unemployed workers from depressed industrial areas, particularly from North-East England and Wales. Between 1934 and 1939 1,100 small-holdings were established within 26 settlements.
Settlements were set up in rural areas where each successful applicant’s family would be given a small-holding of approximately 5 acres (0.020 km2), livestock and a newly built cottage. Small-holdings were grouped in communities which were expected to run agricultural production as cooperative market gardens, with materials bought and produce sold exclusively through the Association. Applicants were vetted and given agricultural training before being assigned a property.
The allocation of settlements to the unemployed was suspended at the outbreak of the Second World War through the necessity of increasing food production; favour was given to those already with horticultural skills. After the war the Association was incorporated within a County Council scheme for statutory provision of smallholdings designed as a first step for those going into agricultural production. The scheme was wound- up and all the properties privatised in 1983, by which time it was producing roughly 40% of English homegrown salad crops. The residual assets of the scheme were constituted as the LSA Charitable Trust, for the benefit of former tenants and to promote horticultural education
Fulney also housed a Prisoner of War Camp during WW2.