Gedney Hill & Heritage Map
About Gedney Hill & Heritage Map
Gedney Hill is a village. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 737
The name Gedney is from the Old English ‘gaeda+eg’, or “island of Gaeda”
In 1885 Kelly’s Directory noted the existence of an 1859-60 built school, endowed with church lands and holding 100 pupils, agricultural production of wheat, oats, potatoes and beans, and the French Drove railway station.
The French Drove and Gedney Hill railway station on the branch line between Postland and Murrow closed in 1964. The line was part of the Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint Railway.
Gedney Hill Golf Club, designed by Charles Britton in 1989, has a 5257-yard parkland course of 18 holes.
Gedney Hill Grade II* listed Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Dating from the late 14th century, it was heavily restored in 1874-75 by James Fowler. The restoration included the entire rebuilding of the outer walls. The arcades are supported by octagonal oak piers, and the roof by Perpendicular-style tie-beams. The stained glass east window is by Ward and Hughes. At the south of the churchyard, which also contains war graves of two airmen of the Second World War, is a listed 15th-century cross, restored in 1918.
Further Grade II listed buildings are Gedney Hill Mill and the Red Lion public house.