Home » Articles » Surfleet Railway Station – Press Release

Surfleet Railway Station – Press Release

Railways and Surfleet. Early press release         SURFLEET RAILWAY STATION

In South Holland there were 123 miles of railway serving an area of 519 square miles, giving one mile of railway to about 2,700 acres of land. The greatest distance of any part from a railway station was about 6 miles. Owing to the large quantities of potatoes, roots and vegetables grown, the traffic from some of these stations was very heavy. The quantity of agricultural produce of all kinds sent from the three stations Kirton, Algarkirk and Surfleet, in a year was about 23,000 tons, of which Kirton dispatched about 11,000 tons and the Agarkirk and Surfleet 6,000 tons each. The area of land which these three stations served was approximately 32,500 acres including grass land, roads and villages etc. This averages 0.7 tons of produce per acre exported by rail from the district.

1851 the Station Master at Surfleet was Martin MORRISS, born in Ireland, aged 38. He lived in the station house with lodger Edward HEATH, aged 16 from Spalding, his Railway Porter.

1861 the Station Master was Philip MARWOOD, born in Kirby On Bain, aged 28. He lived in the station house with lodger Frederick COPPING from Lincoln and his wife Ellen and two children. Frederick is a railway shunter. Philip Marwood appears in 1881 as a potato merchant in Turnpike Road, with his wife Betsy and daughter Eliza. He dies in 1887, buried 29.3.87. His widow would appear to remain in the property as House Keeper for a Mr. James W Manton.  Frederick COPPING, now a Railway Porter, and his wife, born in Aslackby, move in to Station Road in 1871 son Frederick 19.

1871, station master is Richard LIDDALLaged 52, from Barnsley, and his wife Eliza. Also sharing railway property was James Timothy RUSSELL, aged 40 from Black Notley, his wife Amelia, and family William 14, working in flaxmill, Thomas aged 12 and Sarah Jane 10. Two further lodgers John ANDREWS 18, railway porter and James HARLEY 23, a platelayer

Richard Liddall is well thought of by the village. A very pleasant event took place 1871 at Surfleet when about fifty four persons sat down to an excellent supper on the occasion of the presentation of a testimonial to Mr. Richard Liddall, late station master, and who has lately removed to Tatteshall. The company included some of the leading farmers and tradesmen in the neighbourhood. Mr. Liddall was stationed at Surfleet ten years and was respected by all classes. Mr. William Cocks of Donington occupied the chair, and Mr. Robinson of Surfleet the vice. After justice had been done to a very excellent supper provided by Mr Plumtree of the Railway Inn, Mr. Kay farmer of Quadring in a complementary speech presented Mr. Liddall with a purse containing £22. Mr. Liddall suitably acknowledged the gift.

1881 John Ebenezer LOVELL aged 45 from Chatteris becomes Station Master, with wife Fanny 44 from Shelford, Beds and children Son George LOVELL 17 is a Station Clerk; a six other children.

1891 sees Mr LOVELL still station master with wife and three children.

Vistor comments