The first record we have of Chain Bridge is recorded on Grundy’s Map of 1732. The map shows its location very close to Chain Bridge Forge. It was believed to have been to the left of the Forge. The bridge was opened by pulling chains hence its name. This bridge seems to have been replaced with the second bridge in 1844 and lasted till the 1960’s. Conjecture is that the opening for the ships to pass through was too small and the swing bridge offered a larger opening. The later swing bridge was operated by a handle which was kept in Chain Bridge Forge. George Robert Dodd was the Harbour Master after Mr Turner and was paid £5/year and every time the bridge was opened a further shilling (5p) was collected. It must have been quite busy in the 1930’s because over a 2 week period 30th shillings were collected.