Lych Gate


Built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887. The word "lych" is middle English meaning "body" or"corpse". It was formerly used to shelter the coffin until clergy arrived to read the introductory part of the burial service.


List of Vicars



Memorial to S. Bateman


WW1 commemoration tablet to Seth Bateman.

Seth's parents were told he had died defending Ladysmith in 1899 during the siege and they commissioned the commemoration tablet. In March 1900 the war correspondent of The Times reported that Seth was captured by the Boers in December 1899 and taken to prison in Pretoria where he died a few months later. The war correspondent was a Mr WS Churchill.


New East End of Church



Entry to Bells


Stand just inside the western door and look upwards. There is a blue circle in the centre of the vaulting. This is where the bells were hauled up into the bell tower above. There are six bells, the earliest dating from 1588, inscribed as follows:

1. "Non clamor sed amor cantat in aure Dei, Tobie Norris cast me 1620"

2. "Ego sum vox clamantis, Joseph Eyre, St Neot's, fecit 1769"

3. "T. Osbourn fecit 1785"

4. "God speed us, we sayeth . Thomas Hill 1588"

5. "Venite cum voco, Revd Maurice Johnson D.D., Vicar, John Briant and John Cabourn, fecerunt, 1805 R. Thorpe and R King, C.W."

6. "Hung at the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary, in memory of King Edward VII".

The door to the ringing chamber is on the north side of the tower.




Stand just inside the western door and look upwards. There is a blue circle in the centre of the vaulting. This is where the bells were hauled up into the bell tower above. There are six bells, the earliest dating from 1588, inscribed as follows:

1. "Non clamor sed amor cantat in aure Dei, Tobie Norris cast me 1620"

2. "Ego sum vox clamantis, Joseph Eyre, St Neot's, fecit 1769"

3. "T. Osbourn fecit 1785"

4. "God speed us, we sayeth . Thomas Hill 1588"

5. "Venite cum voco, Revd Maurice Johnson D.D., Vicar, John Briant and John Cabourn, fecerunt, 1805 R. Thorpe and R King, C.W."

6. "Hung at the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary, in memory of King Edward VII".

The door to the ringing chamber is on the north side of the tower.


Devotional Marks


Prior to building the new tower and west entrance, the original west door was in line with the floor ramp up to the font. Look closely at the pillars and you can see devotional marks scratched into the stonework up to head height. The west door was traditionally used only for funerals, weddings and holy processions. These simple marks were prayers to ward off evil and bless the souls of those who entered by this door.


Three Hatchments


The coats of arms in the 3 hatchments are attributed to the Bolton family, important landowners in the Moulton area during the 18th/19th century. These were hung outside the home of the deceased to announce a death in the family. The boards headed the funeral procession and afterwards hung outside the home of the deceased for up to 6 months of mourning. Finally they were hung in the church as a memorial. The black background on the dextral (right) side of the hatchment shows the deceased is male and if on the sinistral (left) side, the deceased is a female member of the family.


New Font


This was installed as part of the considerable Victorian remodelling project in 1867-8.

The early medieval font was found by The Reverend Jackson in a nearby stables and brought back to the church. Originally, it would have been lead-lined and with a locking lid but these are sadly missing. It was necessary during medieval times to lock fonts as the holy water used for baptisms remained in the font all year and only changed at Easter. It was often stolen and sold to pilgrims by unscrupulous villagers...luckily, times have changed and the holy water used today is provided fresh for each baptism.


Bases of Columns


Traces of Norman foundations at the bases of the pillars are evident. The floor in the Nave was originally 18ft-20ft lower in the Nave but was raised up during the Victorian restoration.


36th of July Gravestone


The ledger stone of Prudence Corby. Closer inspection shows the corrected mistakes made by the stonemason in the lettering. Notably her departure date is inscribed as "Julye 36th 1793"!


Matching Pair of Coffin Trestles


A matching pair of trestles which were originally used to place a coffin during a funeral. They are simply crafted but a good example of local rural carpentry. It is not known exactly how old they are but are thought to be late 17th century early / 18th century.


Victorian Lectern



Mason's Mark WA

Looking up at the first arch to the west of the northern aisle the initials WA can be seen. There is also a faded devotional mark that resembles a flower head adjacent near the apex of the arch.


Tower Crumbling


As you enter the church stop before the font and look up into the bell tower which supports the 160 feet spire. This area dates from c1380 and replaced the tower originally built with the 12th century church. The new tower and western entrance was erected more to the west and on new foundations.

Above the font is evidence of rough stonework which shows the position of the original tower. This had started to collapse. The Bishop of Lincoln suspended the charter that granted the holding of a market in Moulton until such time that the parish paid for the failing tower to be pulled down and a new one built.


Musket Marks


The clerestory is the line of windows letting in light above the Nave. The north side is older than the south side where the windows are slightly different. It dates from around 1400.

Look carefully at the stone ledges running below the clerestory windows. During the civil war a group of parliamentarian soldiers on their way to Crowland in 1643 broke into Moulton Church and shot out the stained glass in the clerestory windows. The ledge was badly damaged by musket balls on the south side, but not so much on the north side. There are also musket ball marks high on the wall in the lady chapel.


Evidence of Original Tower Lintels


Stand by the font and look at the very tall columns either side. These originally supported the floor of the old bell tower.


Nave Story


Derived from the Latin word Narvis, meaning "ship." Look upwards and you will see the roof resembles the ribs of an upturned boat. The eastern end of the nave is the oldest part of the building. In mediaeval times the nave was not consecrated and formed the hub of the community. It was the only place where the parishioners were allowed to hear the services. Services were always held in the consecrated area hidden behind the roodscreen.

The Nave was a noisy place. Goods were bought and sold, the lord of the manor had the right to store arms and lodge his men at arms. Disputes were heard and judgements made. Beer could be bought here... but only beer brewed by the monks at Spalding Priory! Today, the nave is also used for meetings, coffee mornings, concerts, seasonal fayres, and our popular annual flower festival.


Chancel Arch Detail


The Chancel was rebuilt in the 15th century when a simple flat roof was raised to the present level. For some reason the Chancel Arch is a later addition, probably post-reformation. Not deemed to be of any outstanding architectural value according to Sir William Fosters' report of 1890. However among one of the foliage decorations on the south side there is a face. Is it a Green Man, a lion (the symbol of St Mark)... or a Lincoln Imp?


Rood Screen Detail


The rood screen dates from around 1425 and is a particularly rare and fine example that has survived over 600 years. There are finely carved foliage, birds, dragons, lions' heads and paws to the panels on the south side. On the north side, there is a carved griffin, dragon and bearded man's head and further detailed foliage. The rood screen gates are also original. Above the screen are lifelike carved heads of medieval men and women looking towards the Nave and the chancel. Carved into the plain panels are a number of devotional marks. These are in the forms of house outlines, scratched crosses, and initials. These medieval marks are prayers made by worshippers who were largely illiterate. LM denotes prayers to Mary the Mother of Jesus as is the M intertwined with an inverted M creating a 'butterfly' or 'marion' mark. Confessions from the parishioners would be heard in the chancel steps by the clergy who would have remained on the other side of the screen. The small rose symbols around the entrance to the chancel represent the flower symbol for Mary and is a visual reminder of the sanctity of the confessional.


Holes of Old Pulpit


The pulpit is said to be remodelled from a very old cupboard. It replaced a much larger 3 tier pulpit which was removed during the Victorian renovation of the Nave and Chancel.


Door to Rood Loft


Above the rood screen there was originally a loft accessed from a small door on the south side. The only trace that remains is a section of stone lintel on the south wall of the chancel.





Communion Rail


The altar or communion rail is part of the Victorian renovation work and separates the chancel from the sanctuary. During the civil war the use of the sanctuary and chancel was largely abandoned in favour of a communal table in the Nave. At the end of the civil war and the restoration of the rites of the Church of England, it became customary to fix the altar rail into place to prevent the altar being removed into the Nave.


Details of Screen (Devotional Marks)


The plain panels in the chancel are largely obscured by the choir stalls. However, there are a number of significant devotional marks with direct reference to the restoration of the monarchy in May 1660. It is unusual to have these on the chancel side of the screen as this area was mainly used by the clergy. However someone obviously thought it was worth giving thanks to God for the end of the civil war.


Platform for Choir Loft and Organ



Organ Story Mirror



The Reredos


The ornamental panel behind the altar is displayed in 5 sections representing the 5 wounds of Christ. The decoration of the panels show symbols associated with the crucifixion as depicted in the gospels.


East Windows Details


The stained glass window was installed by parishioners in the restored Chancel in memory of Reverend Jackson, the vicar of Moulton 1866-1899. The top windows display the 9 Orders or Ranks of Angels:-

Seraphim, Cherubim, Thrones, Dominions, Virtues, Powers, Principalities, Archangels and Angels. The panels underneath show various Saints and Angels:

St Joseph of Arithemea (spear)

St Peter (key)

St John (serpent)

Mary Mother of Jesus

St Luke (artist's palette)

Archangel Raphael (carrying a fish)

The Archangel Michael (red cross on shield)

St John the baptist (lamb)

St Christopher (orb)

St Walstan (scythe, patron saint of farm workers)

It is decorated with depictions of saints and angels holding 'palms of glory.'


Walled Up Door and Easter Sepulchre


The blocked door occurred during the Victorian renovation work in the chancel. Formerly the priests door leading out of the chancel to the priests' house or presbytery. This allowed the clergy direct access into the consecrated part of the church. The remains of the foundations of the presbytery can be seen in the churchyard. 

The Easter Sepulchre

(no photo)

The badly damaged arched recess on the north side of the chancel next to the priests' door was decorated between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. It traditionally displayed images to commemorate the Crucifixion, entombment, and resurrection of Jesus.


Sedilia Alcoves


Where the assistant clergy sat to help the priest.


16th Century Altar Table


A 16th century altar table is housed in the former lady chapel, now used as a prayer corner. It was originally a domestic dining table which was used as an altar in the Nave during the civil war when the Chancel and Sanctuary was abandoned. The congregation sat around this simple table in the Nave.


Lady Chapel


The Lady Chapel in the south aisle is now dedicated as a prayer corner. The evidence of fixing points show it was screened off from the rest of the Nave and used for private prayer. The piscina in the south wall is one of 3 that still exists in the church.


Different Styles of Columns



WW2 Memorial


The WW2 list of Old Moultonians by the Harrox Window. 

FL Leonard Porter was the son of the village butcher and former head boy of Moulton Grammar school. He was a brilliant scholar and went to on to Trinity College to study for a BA. In 1941 he volunteered for the RAF 264 sq based in Cornwall. He flew mosquitos primarily to harass German planes headed for the coast of England. Aged 22, he was with his flying officer over the English channel when the plane was hit. He brought the plane down which floated on top of the sea. He rescued FO Huntley from the sea and secured him to the wing of the plane but was himself washed away. FO Huntley was captured and remained a POW for the rest of the war. Leonard Porters' name is recorded in the churchyard on the grave of his grandparents as his body was never found.


Harrox Window


Dedicated to John Harrox who endowed land and money in his will in 1561 for the foundation of a Grammar School in Moulton and the provision of aid to 'persons in need, hardship or distress.' The window also contains memorials to former headmasters of the school.

Next to the Harrox window are the war memorials to Moulton Grammar School boys who served and died in both world wars.


Candle Holders on Pillars


There are a number of candle holders on the pillars in the Nave.


St Anthony Chapel Piscina


The modern choir vestry hides part of this area, thought to be dedicated to St Anthony. There is evidence of a piscina alcove although the basin is cemented over.


Vestment Chest


Used to store the altar cloths. The altar colours are changed in accordance with the seasons of the Christian Anglican church calendar.


Candle Cupboard near Pulpit


The candle cupboard was made from parts of the salvaged 3 tier pulpit.


Piscina next to Nave


The piscina in the north aisle was part of a former chapel or chantry. This area would have been funded and used for private prayers solely for the benefactor and family by a dedicated priest.


Royal Coat of Arms


These were required to be displayed in churches after the Reformation... to remind parishioners that the Monarch was the head of the Church of England and not the Pope!


Poor Box


Thought to be locally made sometime between the late 17th and early 18th century. Donations made were distributed between the poor and needy of the parish. During the 18th century it was used by the bellringers to balance candles whilst they rang the bells. Today, it is used by those who wish to buy donated books. The money is used to help support the upkeep of the church.


Victorian Font


Placed in All Saints in 1719, it is allegedly based on a font in St James Piccadilly carved by Grinding Gibbons. Adam and Eve are represented either side of the column with the coiled serpent. The tree of life, decorated with fruit, continues around the basin along with depictions of Noah's Ark, the escape of the Israelites out of Egypt, and two figures thought to be David and Goliath. Originally, the font was painted in bright colours. However, the congregation objected to the colours and they were removed. Traces of the paint still remain.