Gedney Broadgate & Heritage Map
About Gedney Broadgate & Heritage Map
Gedney Broadgate is a hamlet in the civil parish of Gedney and the South Holland district of Lincolnshire, England.
Gedney Bargate was established after the Norman Conquest at the end of the 11th century. At Gedney Bargate was the start point of the earliest medieval post-conquest fen dyke (sea defence bank), being mentioned in a 1226-27 charter.
By 1839 there existed a Baptist chapel in the hamlet, which closed in 1986. Pevsner mentions the 1839 chapel and the existence of “a couple of 18th-century cottages, one still thatched,” and Broadgate House, dated 1824. The thatchedcottage, at Harford Gate, is a mid-18th-century rendered red-brick Grade II listed building. A further Grade II listed building is the mid-18th-century red-brick Pulvertoft Hall at Harford Gate.