Our Blog

Explore the latest posts from Chain Bridge Forge, Moulton Mill, Pinchbeck Engine and South Holland Life.

Spalding in 1930’s and 40s

Spalding in 1930’s and 40s

John Tippler has put some of his memories down on paper for readers to enjoy. In the 1930s and 40s, the town functioned mainly through personal contact. It showed up in various ways. There was no ‘serve yourself’ in shops, so you were always dealing with shop...

Sutton St Edmunds

Sutton St Edmunds

Sue Hill sent these pictures. They were in her grandmothers collection and her grandmother was born in Sutton St Edmunds. Does anyone recognise the location of the pictures?

Harrington House, Broad St

Harrington House, Broad St

 It was built in the 18th century for Mr George Worrall a local Solicitor who died there in 1771 at the age of 49. At the beginning of the 19th century it was lived in by another Solicitor a Mr Carter. In the 1930s it was the home of the Pennington family , it...

Little London 1966’s

Little London 1966’s

This picture is approx 1966 at Little London opposite the phone box facing towards BP garage. Knipes house and Dacks bungalow have not been built yet. The white house was demolished to build Knipes house set back from footpath. I belive where the railings are in the...

St Nicholas, Whykam

St Nicholas, Whykam

This is St Nicholas Chapel, Whykam which is from a print from June 1835, sculpted by W Watkins and published by J Saunders of London and Lincoln. The chapel was built in 1311 and has been in this state since the roof collapsed in 1782. 1950's1950's

Tour of St Margret’s Church Quadring

The sequence above uses a 360 degree camera to photograph the inside of the building and then link together to create a tour. Click on the icon to start the tour. Further icons give more information or expanded photograph. Best viewed in 'full screen'. The church can...

Spalding Fire Station 1931

Spalding Fire Station 1931

A photo of Spalding Fire Station when it was in Station Street, 1931. This building was badly damaged by fire from a neighbouring shop, 'westcombes' on February 10th 1930. It was then left as an eyesore.

Gedney Dyke Mill – 1906

Gedney Dyke Mill – 1906

Published by E.R. Swain of Holbeach, a lovely postcard of Gedney Dyke Mill. Sent in 1906 by Mr. J.W. Munson of the Mill House, to Mr. Cott, wheelwright, Kirton. Posted from Old Holbeach

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Stay up to date with what’s happening at Chain Bridge Forge by signing up to our newsletter

Contact Chainbridge Forge

Visit us, email us or call us to find out more about what’s happening at Chain Bridge Forge.

Address

Chainbridge Forge, High Street, Spalding, Lincs, PE11 1TX.

Call Us

07960 587724.

 

Email Us

chainbridge@heritagesouthholland.co.uk