Chain Bridge Forge History
From the 1700s to today
The Forge has its origins in the mid 1700’s but the building as seen today was constructed in the early nineteenth century, the forge came into the possession of Mr George Dodd in 1899.
The family worked from these premises for three generations, during a period which saw a steady decline in the blacksmith’s role.
Adapting to this change Mr Geoffery Dodd, George’s grandson, spent much of his career designing and building the frames for floats in Spalding’s Flower Parade.
In the 1980s, nearing retirement and with the building in a poor state of repair, Mr Dodd approached South Holland District Council (SHDC) to take on the forge.
After two years of discussions the site was purchased from him by SHDC for the nominal fee of £1, on September 20th 1988.
In 2011 The Friends of Chain Bridge Forge were formed and took the Forge on a 25 year lease.
The Heritage Lottery Fund awarded £50,000 to restore the Forge and make it accessible. This award was followed by £10,000 to record the history of the community.
Blacksmiths and Blacksmithing
Uncover the history of this ancient trade and the people who have kept the traditions of blacksmithing alive through the centuries.
Media, Video and Interviews
Listen and watch some of the videos, interviews and other media associated with the forge.
Contact Chain Bridge Forge
Chain Bridge Forge, High Street, Spalding, Lincs, PE11 1TX.