GIBBONS Cycles has now been trading in Spalding for more than 90 years, during which time it has seen a number of generations of the Gibbons family at the helm.
In 1916 John William Gibbons was invalided out of the war and used his pension to start a cycle shop with his wile Kate in Winsover Road.
Despite lean times during the 1920s and 30s, the shop slowly expanded, growing in stature. The founder’s son, also John William, joined him in the trade before World War Two, only to be enlisted, leaving his wife Nancy to help his father run the business during the hostilities.
Through the 1950s the shop involved to keep pace with the increase in trade and was totally rebuilt in he 1960’s.