Money Bridge being so called presumably because it was a Toll Bridge at one time.

This was another local Inn where one family held the licence for a considerable number of years. Edwin and Mary Jacklin are shown in the 1871 census and again in 1881 with their six daughters and one son :-Amelia B. (22), Eliza (19). Ellen (12), Julia (10), Frank (9), Lucy (7) and Ethel B. (10 months). Edwin was a joiner by trade and had a workshop attached to the pub. He died in 1903 at the age of 74. His wife then took over until her death in 1913 aged 72; both were buried at Pinchbeck St. Mary’s.

Prior to the Jacklins, the White’s Directories of 1842 and 1856 show William Gulson as the licensee.

Five bells1This first photo shows the opening of the ‘new’ Money Bridge in 1910-11. It was obviously a big° happening’. The Five Bells shows up quite clearly. An interesting point worth mentioning here is the flight of steps going down to the river that can be seen directly in front of the pub. These occurred all the way along the river for people to have easier access to collect their water which was then filtered and boiled for use.

Quite an exciting discovery was made during our research-that there was another pub called ‘The Five Bells’ before the one seen in the photo Five bells2above. The date of its closure is not known at the present time but it was still operating about 1880 as seen in the next photograph.

The Five Bells is well represented with photographs. We think this to be in order as the community around Money Bridge was once a large and lively one and hence worthy of a decent report. It hardly seems possible that such a community could have disappeared so quickly,

The building on closure was altered and split up into private residences. Five bells3The next photograph shows Mrs. J. Beech outside with her family in 1914.

 

 

 

Five bells4The River Glen was tidal at one time and so it was necessary to have a high bridge as shown on this photograph of Money Bridge.

An extract from the West Elloe magazine September 1881 quotes

‘Club Feast- The “Glen New Bridge” Foresters held their anniversary on the 20th ultimo. The members accompanied by a brass band, with the regalia of their order attended morning service in St Bartholomew’s Church (West Pinchbeck) and listened attentively to an appropriate sermon preached by the incumbent. An excellent dinner was provided and was well served by Host Jacklin of Money Bridge to which ample justice was done by members and friends.

Various directories show Joseph Elston Hodson as ‘mine host’ in 1919, 1922, 1930 and 1937.

Joseph Hodson was at the Five Bells for at least eighteen years and was a ‘higler’ as well as licensee. This term is new to us but is understood to have been used to describe a man who owned a horse or horses, hiring himself out to supplement his income working on farms as and when necessary.

Five bells5Mr. Hodson lived with his wife Alice and four daughters Prudence, Winifred, Evelyn and Phyllis.