There are literally hundreds of Inns and Public Houses named “The Bell” in the UK, many of the earlier PinchbeckTheBellones were usually nearest to the parish church or cathedral. The photograph on the right and below were taken between 1900 and 1905.

The Bell is mentioned just over two hundred years ago in the records of one of the earliest Friendly Societies when ……. “ In 1784 a Friendly Society held at the House of Charles Handley, The Bell, Pinchbeck, published a set of Members Orders and Regulations” ……. Not unfamiliar to those of their 20th century successors.

The Bell - click to enlarge

The Bell – click to enlarge

 

 

In 1906, after some disagreement with Samuel Orbell at the Bull Inn, Pinchbeck, the then landlord of the Bell-Edward John Haynes-‘agreed to find room, fires, lamp oil, lamp glasses and to clean and attend lamps for the sum of £4. 4s. Od. Annually for the local Friendly Society…..’This was shortlived, however, as Samuel Orbell reduced the charge by one guinea in 1907 and the Society moved back to The Bull.

Census Records from 1851 have been checked with the following results :-

1851 John and Sarah Moseley, Innkeeper & Horsebreaker & Wife, both aged 46. Apart from their ages, the 1861 entry is the same. The 1871 Census does not show the Bell.

1881 Charles and Rebecca Barty, Innkeeper and Wife 64 and 54 respectively.

Various Whites. Kellys and Post Office Directories list the Innkeepers as :-

1842-William Plowright

1856-John Moseley

1876 & 1889-Charles Barty

1892-Rebecca Barty

1900-Jacob George Dougan

1905-Samuel Arthur Smith

1913, 1919 & 1922-Edward John Haynes

1930-John Wakelin

1937-Emerson Silas Scott

Charles Barty died in 1891 aged 68, his widow Rebecca took over for a few years before handing over to James Dougan in 1900, she lived on in Pinchbeck until January 1914 when she passed away on her 91st year; both are buried in St. Mary’s churchyard Pinchbeck.

Pinchbeckthebell3

Emerson Silas Scott

Emerson Silas Scott was a Canadian who came to Pinchbeck after the First World War. He lived in the old post office which was next door to Worthingtons shop in Church Street. Before taking over at The Bell in 1934. A joiner by trade, he continued his work in the old coaching stables. He is seen below outside The Bell prior to the second world war

During his period as Innkeeper he became Secretary of the Pinchbeck Branch of the British Legion which held its meetings at The Bell at that time. The next photograph shows a British Legion Fete Committee sometime in the 1930’s.

Pinchbeckthebell4Back Row left to right: Gus Fidler, not known, Billy Webb. Not known, Rev. Gee, Capt. Holt-Hughes. Col. Robert Cooke, C. F. Turner, Dick Stacey. Fred Culpin.

Middle Row not known, Jake Brindle, not known, Cecil Francis.

Front Row Ernie Benfield. Not known, J. H. Robinson, S. E. Scott, Oliver Turner and Charlie Hallgate

 

Extract from “Pubs of the Pinchbecks”