The Ship Inn, Pinchbeck
The first record we have of The Ship Inn is in 1851 when it was regarded as being in Knight Street because the Approach hadn’t yet been built. James Stubley aged 42 was the Victualler, Caroline his wife was 29, with sons John (9), Robert (7), William (3) and daughters Isabella (12), Jane (5) and Ann (1 week). Ten years later James (52) had by this time taken a second wife Susan (25). Four daughters and two sons are shown :- Jane (16), Amelia (10), Caroline (8) and Elizabeth (4), William (14) and Joseph (2).
The Directories show-
1882, 1885, 1889, 1892 Frederick Fathers
1900, 1905 William Thomas Cater
1913, 1919, 1930, 1937 Herbert J. Smith
Frederick Fathers who was a plasterer by trade was one of the Publicans who had his own beer jugs stamped with his name to loan out to the customers.
The first photograph shows a fisherman posed outside The ship in about 1900. The licensee’s name
above the door indicates the building to be The Ship, but unfortunately neither man has been identified.
The next photograph was taken sometime while the ship was owned by Steward & Patterson’s Brewery, later Mann’s Brewery took it over.
In the 1940’s, the Ship Inn ran a successful Darts Team, as can be seen by the trophies proudly displayed by (left to right)’Ducks’Taylor, Frank Alexander, Charlie Welham, Johnny Hallgate, Bert Myers, Sybil Alexander, ‘Nobby’Walker, Alice Taylor, Charlie Merrill, ‘Nip’ Hallgate, Charlie Heath, George Chennery and Albert Curry.
Source: Pubs of the Pinchbeck