The Old Boarden Bridge, Glenside, West Pinchbeck
The name of this Public House came from the wooden bridge which spanned the River Glen at this point; the first photograph shows the bridge of modest construction with a centre support, The original photograph shows Glen Mill in the background complete with sails ; the photograph dates from about 1906. This bridge was eventually replaced and renamed the Jubilee Bridge,
The close-up of the bridge shows it could be quite dangerous at times, people and animals were known to have fallen through loose or rotten boards. As the Boarden Bridge pub closed in the early 1890’s there appears very little chance of obtaining a photograph. Church Cottage is now built on the land where the pub used to stand, more precisely the existing garage is on the original site. An original horse-tether remained there until very recently.
The 1851 Census shows Thomas Waite (50) as Victualler/Labourer with his wife Maria (42) and their sons Thomas Jnr. (17) and William (2 months) and daughters Ann (12), a second daughter whose name is illegible, aged 8, and Betsy (6) and Sarah (3). In 1861 only Thomas Jnr., Sarah and William
were still at home and ten years later the 1871 Census shows Thomas and Maria with a grand daughter Eliza Love aged 3. Thomas died sometime in tire next ten years as Maria is shown as Publican in 1881 with Alfred (11) living with her_probably a grandson.
An earlier directory of 1842 names Abraham Pope as Publican and the newspaper cutting on the right shows the Sale by Auction of the Boarden Bridge in 1828 when the ° late Edward Cotney’was presumably the publican.
Click on image to enlarge.
Source: Pubs of the Pinchbecks